Choose your VLAN and MPLS, and start today
This is a Virtual LAN whose network has a virtual switch. The standard switch usually keeps the traffic going from one port to all other ports when there is traffic with the same broadcast domain passing through that port. This special switch is able to create several different LANs with different id on each port, and will only keep the traffic going to the ports that have the same id.
Why is VLAN needed?
VLAN is useful especially when your network has become bigger and broadcast traffic has become a burden in your entire network. Huge burden caused by broadcast traffic can make your network down and not as responsive as it was before.
When should VLAN be implemented?
You need a VLAN when:
- your network has more than 200 device nodes.
- your network has a lot of broadcast traffic.
- you want to divide some of your users into separate groups to improve security
- you want to reduce broadcast traffic because of virus attacks and other intrusive programs that will destroy your network.
- Or you just want to create multiple virtual switches from the existing switch.
MPLS (Multiprotocol Label Switching) is a technique of laying labels in every packet that is transmitted across a network. MPLS works by labeling data packets to determine the route and priority of packet delivery. With this way the data transmission is more robust and secure due to the very tight filtration of the data packet network.
The label will contain important information about the route of a packet, including the destination of the packets and the priority of which packet should be sent first. By labeling the data packet, the large amount of data will not cause chaotic traffic both in RX (Accept) and in TX (Transmiter). Collision can be avoided.
MPLS network system has a complex mechanism because it has its own unique architecture. Therefore, if we want to understand its basics, we must know the dominant devices, which are used in MPLS network and understand the function of each element in it. Some of the elements are :
- CE Customer Edge. The CE type device is a device that has many connections with the customer network. It can also be a customer’s device. CE connects customer network with provider network, i.e., hub, switch, router and repeater.
- LER. It is the MPLS router, the first router in the MPLS domain is located at the ends of the MPLS network, and is connected with the external network. In LER the process of inserting labels (ingress) and releasing labels (egress) occur.
- LSR. It is a router or device that has the ability to transmit the packets based on the MPLS labels. In LSR router label exchange or label swapping takes place. LSR is located in the core of MPLS network
- LSP. To transmit data through MPLS network, a packet traffic path is provided for FEC that is regulated in a data transmission arrangement called label switched path (LSP).